My roommate recently celebrated a big birthday milestone: the “flirty 30.” She had her party at a taqueria. While she prepared for her outing, I made her these Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots in honor of the occasion. I used a lemon lime margarita mix to help flavor the JELL-O, but would like to try a strawberry margarita mix next time.
- Strawberries – 1 pint (I used a pint since I was entertaining a super small group of folks, but there was enough JELL-O mix leftover to fill at least 2 pints of berries)
- JELL-O (JELL-O actually sells a margarita flavor, but I wasn’t able to find it in my grocery store. I opted to use Lemon instead.)
- Tequila – 3/4 cup
- Margarita mix – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Lime – 1 for garnish
1. Trim off bottoms of strawberries so that they stand flat. Trim off stems, too.
2. Hull out strawberries with a paring knife to create strawberry “cups” to hold JELL-O. (Be careful not to cut holes in the bottoms. A few of my berries didn’t make it through this process, but they still made delicious snacks. :))
3. To prepare gelatin, follow instructions on JELL-O box. Boil 1 cup of water and add to gelatin mix, stirring until mix is dissolved. Swap 1 cup cold water for 3/4 cup tequila and 1/4 cup margarita mix. (You can also follow the speed-set method to prepare gelatin if you’re short on time.)
4. Use a measuring cup with spout to pour JELL-O mixture into hulled strawberries. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
5. Slice lime into tiny slivers to use as garnish.
Our group had a few of these before we went out to celebrate. The sour zing of the lime balanced out the sweetness from the berries. :)
This recipe was adapted from She’s Cookin’