Last month, I helped launch a Mon-STAR Milk Mustache ad campaign on behalf of one of my clients, MilkPEP, which featured Monsters University characters, Mike & Sulley.
In honor of the ad, my team created 3 Monsters-U inspired recipes, including these Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip & Banana Muffins. There’s also a really cute smoothie pop recipe – Perfect Pair Pops. It features green (kiwi) and blue (blueberry) fruit swirls, in honor of the colors of scare pair Mike and Sulley. Get it? :-P
The Makings: (the ingredients below make approximately 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins)
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bananas – 2, ripe and mashed
- Peanut butter – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Canola oil – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1/4 teaspoon
- Egg – 1
- Chocolate chips – 1 1/4 cup
Optional streusel crumble topping:
- All-purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Peanut butter – 1/3 cup
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Brown sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Butter – 2 tablespoons, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with wrappers.
2. Combine both flours, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together bananas, peanut butter, both sugars, oil, vanilla and egg. Then, whisk in wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
3. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with batter and sprinkle remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips on top of each muffin. (As an alternative, top each muffin with crumble, made by mixing together all streusel ingredients in a small bowl until sandy. I added some crumble to every other muffin in my pan.)
4. Bake muffins for 10 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve as part of a scarily scrumptious delicious breakfast, a lunchtime snack or dessert. These muffins came out super duper peanut buttery in taste, though you could definitely still detect the chocolate and banana flavors, too. I used creamy peanut butter for this batch, but would love to try using crunchy peanut butter next time.
This recipe was adapted from The Breakfast Project. Note: Disney and MilkPEP did not compensate me to make this recipe or promote the campaign on my blog. I whipped up a batch of these triple flavor packed muffins on my own as a small thank you to my team for their ROAR-ing good work.