To kickoff the month of March, I decided to host an “M-themed” Mexican dinner party, and needed an mmmm-worthy dessert. These margarita cupcakes were perfect for my fiesta.
The cake batter includes tequila, lime juice and margarita mix. The sweetness of the cream cheese frosting pairs well with the tangy-not-too-sweet batter. :) They’d definitely make for a fun addition to a St. Patrick’s Day event or a Cinco De Mayo bash.
- White Cake Mix
- Margarita mix – 7 ounces
- Tequila – 2 ounces
- Lime juice – 1 ounce
- Egg whites – 3
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Lime zest from 1 lime
- Cream cheese frosting
- Lime slices and green sprinkles for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
2. Mix together cake mix, egg whites and oil in a large bowl. Add in margarita mix, tequila and lime juice. Stir in lime zest and beat mixture together.
3. Spoon batter into cupcake cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. Once cupcakes are cool, frost with cream cheese frosting and add green sprinkles/lime slices as garnish.
Optional: Use the leftover margarita mix, lime juice and tequila to mix up a few margaritas. ;)
Recipe adapted from Homemade by Holman.